Marvel Stadium is a stadium arena located in the Melbourne city, priding itself on its versatility and advanced technological capabilities.
First opening its doors in 2000, Marvel Stadium has hosted many major sporting events such as UFC193 and the Soccer World Cup Qualifiers as well as using its retractable roof to transform into a concert venue for Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift and ACDC fans. The venue is also home to various regularly scheduled AFL, A-League and BBL matches throughout the year. Whether it be watching athletes battle it out or listening to popular international artists, Marvel Stadium entertains more than 35 million guests annually during its 80 scheduled arena events.
To take a look behind the scenes, a private tour of the AFL players’ change rooms, coaches’ box and umpires’ tunnel is available, where guests will also visit the Media Centre where the coaches go ‘head-to-head’ at the conclusion of an AFL match with the media.
Facts about Marvel Stadium
- It caters up to 55,000 fans and travelers alike.
- It is the only football stadium in the Southern Hemisphere which has a fully retractable roof and takes eight minutes to close.
- It won the 2019 Venue of the Year at the Stadium Business Awards.
- It opened in the year 2000 and was originally called Victoria Stadium.
- It was originally primarily built for Australian Rules Football games. The first game to be played at the ground was Essendon and Port Adelaide which attracted a crowd of 43,012 people.
- The stadium is the official home ground to five AFL Teams. Carlton, North Melbourne, Essendon, Western Bulldogs and St Kilda use the stadium as their primary home ground.
- The Big Bash League side Melbourne Renegades play their home games at the Marvel Stadium.
- Marvel took over the naming rights of the stadium in September 2018 after a deal was negotiated with The Walt Disney Company.